Vegan Napoleon cake is one of the best cakes that you can make to impress your date on the St Valentine’s day. As Usual, there is a full video of the recipe below. Click to watch on YouTube.
If you prefer the written version, it is here for you as well. Enjoy!
Blitz Puff Pastry ingredients:
– 300 g Cold vegan butter
– 600 g Bread flour
– 150 ml Cold water
– Juice of 1 Lemon
Vegan pastry cream ingredients:
– 750 ml Almond milk
– 5 tbsp Sugar
– 6 tbsp Cornstarch
– ½ Vanilla bean (paste) or 1 tsp Vanilla extract
– Rasp of 1 Lemon
– 100 g Coconut butter
You will need all those recipes to make the vegan Napoleon cake and about 2 hours of your time (less all the breaks in between).
My recommendation for you though is to allow 2 days for this cake to be made. There’s no need to stress yourself out on the St Valentine’s day, especially if you are making this vegan Napoleon cake for the first time.
- Incorporate cold butter into flour by grating it (watch the video to see the technic). Add water and lemon juice. Mix everything together and work the dough a bit to develop gluten.
- Divide all the blitz puff pastry into 10 equal parts (use scales), cover with plastic wrap and let it relax in the fridge for at least 30 min (or overnight).
- Prepare the pastry cream by pouring the almond milk in a medium size pot, adding sugar and cornstarch and bringing it to simmer. Whisk continuously. Pass through a chinois or a fine strainer, put back on heat, add vanilla paste and lemon zest. Take off the heat and incorporate coconut butter. Let it cool down.
- Roll out your puff pastry sheets to 1/3 cm thickness. Punch holes in them with your fork.
- Bake the pastry sheets in the oven for 10-20 min at 350F.
- After everything is cooled down, assembly the cake with 6-7 layers.
- Crumble the rest of the sheets and cover the surface of the cake with them for decoration.
Voila! Your vegan Napoleon cake is ready! Let is stay in the fridge for a few more hours and it is ready to be served.
You can also see more of my video recipes HERE.