Carrot cake is something that most people are familiar with from childhood. It’s a must have dessert in most cafeterias and a beloved cake that you mum cooks on occasion. But did you know that it can easily be done vegan? Or that it can actually be made healthier, i.e. less sugar? Oh yeah, that’s definitely true and by popular demand – here is the recipe of my Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake!
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Per servings: 10 servings
Carrot cake ingredients:
- 1 1/6 cups Bread Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Group Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/6 cups Grinded Carrots
- 3/4 cups Soaked & Grinded Dates
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds bloomed in 3 tbsp Almond Milk
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Melted Coconut Butter
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Grinded Walnuts (reserve some for decoration)
Frosting ingredients (refrain for a healthier result):
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Lemon Juice
Equipment & tools:
- Food processor
- Preheat the oven to 320F.
- Prepare the mis en place. Soak the dates (& grind after 15 min). Bloom the chia seeds. Grind the nuts: most of them finely, but leave some large peaces for decoration*. Peel and grind carrots. Melt the coconut butter.
- Mix all the ingredients together in the given order.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium size mold**.
- Bake for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by simply mixing all the ingredients***.
- Check the cake’s readiness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean from the cake – carrot cake is ready! Remove from the oven and cool down in room temperature for app. 30 min.
- Remove the carrot cake from the mold on a serving board/plate.
- Decorate the cake with frosting and nuts. Enjoy!
*I also use 2 different types of nuts for the cake and for the decoration.
**Cut out a baking paper in the shape of the mold and place at the bottom of the mold. This will prevent the carrot cake from sticking to the bottom and ease the way out 🙂
***Use the stand mixer if you have one to mix the frosting ingredients. Much easier. And refrain from the frosting completely if you want your carrot cake to stay healthy.
Rasp the lemons before juicing them and use this rasp for decoration. It will certainly give your carrot cake that extra kick!