Need some ideas for a special breakfast? Here’s a perfect one just for you! English muffins with poached eggs, a.k.a. eggs Benedict.
Although the whole process of cooking English muffins takes about 4 hours (3 inactive hours, while the dough is rising), it’s totally doable to make them fresh for breakfast. Just prepare the dough a day ahead, leave in the fridge to proof overnight and cook them fresh (10 min to fry) the next morning.
These savoury muffins are mostly known for being an essential component in Eggs Benedict and part of MacMuffin at McDonnalds Mac Breakfast. Nevertheless, you will also absolutely love to have them with butter and jam, instead of bread in various sandwiches and even in French toast.
Preparation time: 3.5 hours
Cooking time: 10 min
Per servings: 4 servings
- Bread flour (25 g for starter & 95 g later for dough) – 120 g
- Active dry yeast (1 g for starter & 1 g later for dough) – 2 g
- Water (room temp.) – 33 g
- Milk (3.5%) – 63 g
- White sugar – 6 g
- Butter (softened) – 6 g
- Kosher salt – 1 g
- Cornmeal (for dusting)
Equipment & tools:
- Large saute pan
- Mix together 25 g of flour, 1 g of yeast and water. Cover with plastic wrap and let the starter bloom at room temperature for 1.5 hours.
- Uncover the starter and mix it together with the rest of the yeast, sugar, milk, butter and salt. Mix for about 30 sec and then add the rest of the flour.
- Mix everything together and work the dough for about 2 min (important not to over mix).
- Farm a ball, put it back in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it bloom for another 1.5 hours at room temperature. Dough should grown twice in size.
- Transfer the dough on a work surface, fold twice and divide into 4 equal parts (55 g each).
- Form 4 balls and press them together to make small disks (about 1 inch in height).
- Line them up on a tray, cover with plastic/towel and let them grow a bit at room temperature for another 3o min.
- Melt some butter on a frying pan, reduce the heat to low and start frying. Approximately, 5 min on one side and 5 on another.
- Voila! Your amazing English muffins are ready, serve them warm and enjoy!