Late August is the corn season and what can be better than the old-fashioned corn soup? Yes, corn soup with coconut cream!
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 40 min
Per servings: 4 bowls
- 3 large onions (half paysanne cut)
- 4 corns (nibs off)
- 1 Bouquet Garni (2 dry bay leaves, 10 peppercorns, 2 fresh thyme springs)
- 5 L of water/vegetable stock
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 can coconut cream
- 1 box silken tofu
- Parsley & dill for garnish (brunoise cut)
Equipment & tools:
- Cheese cloth
1. Prepare all the mirepoix for the soup.
2. Caramelize slightly the onions (do not let them turn brown).
3. Transfer the onions, corn and bouquet Garni to a large pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and let it cook until the corn in tender.
4. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
5. Pass the soup through the chinois or a very fine strainer.
6. Bring it back to boil, add coconut cream, lemon juice and season to taste.
7. Serve hot with silken tofu, some finely sliced greens like parsley or dill and granola.
Do not blend the hole content of the pot. Add the solids first and then add some liquid, blend, check the consistency and add more liquid if necessary. You can always make the soup more liquid, but it is way more difficult to make it less liquid!